Aaahhh, it's that time of year. This past Friday night we went to the Christmas Tree Farm to pick out our Christmas Tree. Avery loved looking at all the lights as it slowly got dark around us while we were there. After my annual Christmas Tree negotiating ritual (I'm not satistfied until I get the tree I want at the price I want), a very nice young man loaded it up and were on our way home with a nice tall, slightly thinner version of last year's tree.
Each and every year I look forward to decorating for the holidays. I love to play Christmas music, drink spiced cider and make comfort food while we take out time getting everything out of the attic, unpackaged and put up around the house. There is just something so comforting to me about unwrapping each of our ornaments and finding the perfect spot for them on the tree! There is also nothing better than the fragrance of pine when you bring the fresh tree in the house.
The cats always get the crazies when we bring in the tree... they resort back to their wilder days living on the streetz. Jack Bauer cat has punching matches with the lower branches. When he bats at them they bounce back and he jumps up with all four feet off the ground. Stormie is more enthralled with the tree skirt. It's insta-fun for a kitty that loves to run and slide all over the place. When she gets scared watching "Jack Vs. The Tree" she does this running in place thing where all feet are moving, but she's not going anywhere. They certainly offer another source of entertainment for Jeff and I... Avery also cracks up watching the cats and their antics.
Ever since Avery joined us, we have started to do everything at a quicker pace. We rush through the grocery store or running an errand... I get ready faster, I eat faster. But, the one thing I found that I absolutely cannot speed up is the Christmas decorating. I like to savor each and every moment of it. Jeff and I really took our time getting up the lights, the wreath, the tree... all of our little holiday odds and ends. OK, it actually took the whole darn weekend (If you've seen our place, IT'S NOT THAT BIG!). I like to think we were savoring it all, but it was probably because we just have a lot more time that ends up being spent with Avery playing and laughing between each task.
Another landmark event this weekend was that Avery tried her very first rice cereal at our Saturday brunch. She loved it, and kept diving in for every bite. She also opened her very first ornament from Jeff and I - a glittery gold owl ornament that I bought because it reminded me of her owl-themed nursery (she also has big ol' eyes like an owl).
I feel quite certain next year's Christmas will be 100x more crazy with a toddler getting into everything, so we are enjoying this year's holiday season with that in mind. This is always the time of year when I reflect on family and on God's love, and how blessed we are to have one another. It truly is "the most wonderful time of the year!" but I wish I took the time to reflect like this more often!
Hope you all have taken the time to embrace the holiday season... it's certainly upon us!
Lots of love.
xoxo~
Kate
1 comment:
I love this blog post! Thank you for sharing your special Christmas traditions with your readers! And also the picture of Avery laughing at her dad in his Santa hat and aviators!
Post a Comment