background template

Friday, July 1, 2011

What's up, Doc?

Just some good ol' baby #2 updates for ya.

We've been meeting with specialist Dr. Courtney Stephenson the last several visits at CMC Women's Institute, and she is very thorough. Yesterday she took another look at baby's kidneys and they pretty much look the same as they have. The good sign is that there is plenty of amniotic fluid surrounding the baby, which means that one or both of them are functioning correctly. As the doctor said, "You really only need one!" Of course, we'd like there to be two working properly. But we will count our blessings. (One of them NOT being that the baby is sitting in a breech position again. I just KNEW it. Lyss and Hill - did I not say this last week? But still, there are many other blessings we cannot ignore.)

The baby has gained over a pound in the last 4 weeks, and should continue to grow steadliy at this point. Baby is measuring a bit on the small side for 35 weeks, but she said is still at a healthy percentile. He or she is currently at a 14th percentile and she doesn't want to see it drop below 10%. Fatten up, sweet little one. (I ran and got a cookout milkshake immediately after my appointment - I felt it was absolutely necessary!) They estimated the weight at close to 4 1/2 pounds and said typically baby will gain about 8 oz per week at this point.


Once again baby kept hands and arms over face the entire time. At one point baby actually was clasping one arm with the other fist in a pose that resembled a cross between a karate and cheerleading move, very firmly blocking any view of the cleft. Oh well. Not much more we can learn at this point anyway.


I also found out in chatting with Dr. Stephenson that she had surgery performed by the plastic surgeon we met with a couple weeks ago! Her son kicked a soccer ball that landed smack-dab in the middle of her face and broke her nose. As she phrased it, "I even let Dr. Lefaivre operate on ME." To which the counselor in the room followed with, "And she's VERY particular." I guess we can count that as a very good referral! She does seem awfully particular. Which I think is a good thing in a doctor. :)


We go back again on July 18th for yet another scan. They will check on kidneys and fluid levels as well as baby's growth. Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers coming our way!


Oh, also - I don't know if I mentioned it formally, but you may have assumed... we have decided NOT to get the amnio testing done at this point. We are just going relax (hahaha) and wait for our baby's arrival.

No comments:

Contributors