background template

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lucy's Funeral

As I'm sure you'd expect, the day of Lucy's funeral was a tough day. I haven't been able to share anything about it yet on the blog. Just wasn't there yet. We were in such a state of shock at the time that we only invited immediate family to be there for a private, intimate funeral service. Because I know there are family members that couldn't make it and so many others that we couldn't include at the time, I want to share some details.

We chose to bury Lucy at Evergreen Cemetery in Charlotte. It's a beautiful setting; the area is very private with trees all around. It's a peaceful place. There we found a newer section within the cemetery reserved for infants and children. These little ones were lost so early, their lives cut too short. It's about the saddest thing you ever will see. But when we went to see the area we just knew that was where we needed to bury her. Lucy was buried at the end of the children's section on July 28th, 2011.

The day of the funeral was sunny and very, very warm. Hot would be a more appropriate description actually. The service started just after 10 a.m. - it was very simple, beautiful.

Avery and her cousin Parker stayed with friends during the actual service and we were able to be joined by Lucy's Nana, Papa, Aunt Meg, Aunt Erin & Uncle Martin, Aunt Jeanne & cousins Brooks, Ford and Mary Ellison. A small, intimate group full of love.

Lucy was dressed in a little white gown and swaddled in a blanket from her Aunt Jeanne. A little stuffed lamb rested by her side with a ribbon around his neck that read "Jesus Loves Me". Her little white casket was the picture of innocence, placed on a table covered with green cloth. I brought a special bouquet of flowers tied with a pink ribbon and laid them near. During the service, my mom's arm was around my shoulders. Jeff and I held hands tightly. I also held Lucy's little lamb that we had in the hospital with her.


Pastor Bill Roth started with a prayer. His message was of hope. Through our grief, we can find hope. Despite our sadness, let us keep hope alive.

Scriptures included:
Psalms 23
Psalms 139:7-18
Matthew 19:14-15, Mark 10:16

We said the Lord's Prayer together.

My dad played the song "Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns - the lyrics perfectly summing up what we were feeling at that moment, and even now.

Pastor Bill described the moment of Lucy's passing in a beautiful way. In the same moment that we were saying our good-byes to Lucy (as she laid in our arms in the hospital), Lucy was saying hello to her heavenly father. As her little soul left her body in our arms, she was received into the Lord's warm embrace. As she breathed her last unsteady and weak breath here on earth, she inhaled a strong, deep breath in heaven. She was welcomed into God's kingdom for eternity.

My sisters gave each person a daisy. At the end of the service we each placed them beside the casket in Lucy's honor.

It was perfect and peaceful. As difficult as all of it was, there was comfort in the ritual of laying her body to rest in peace. The bright sunshine was a reminder of Lucy's bright presence and shining light. She was smiling down on us.

I remember praying to God, asking Him to hold little Lucy tight until I get to hold her again.


"In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and trust shall be your strength."
~ Isaiah 30:15

1 comment:

Blake said...

Oh, Kate, I hadn't read this post yet and it just makes me cry. It's an inspiring post, though. There's hope and love here. xoxo

Contributors