Lucy had a great evaluation after her birth and we were relieved and hopeful. We knew she would get genetic testing after birth because of the cleft lip (which we knew about prenatally) but at this point there was so much joy. We didn't know the sex of the baby during pregnancy, so when it was revealed that we had another baby girl, we were both shocked and excited. Lucy was a magnificent surprise!
Our precious angel – 7/19/11

When I took the above photo of Lucy late into the night of her birth, I had no idea of everything that was about to unfold in the next several days. There was the obvious cleft but we had done so much research on cleft surgeries and procedures that we looked past this almost immediately. She also had a tiny little flap of skin on the outside of her left hand – but it seemed so minor and was totally fixable. You would have never known otherwise (by looking at her) that there was something much more significant going on with her sweet perfectly made form.
"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." ~ Psalm 139
Lucy got very quickly sick on Wednesday morning. By noontime on 7/20, she was admitted into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Levine Children’s Hospital and I was in shock. I think we still had the hope that they would call and tell us that everything was ok, it was all a fluke. We went and sat with her several times that day, but it all seems very blurry. Doctors and specialists seemed to be in and out all day. We didn't understand some of the terminology and we certainly didn't know what questions were the right ones to ask!
Lucy in the NICU - 7/21/11
While Lucy was in the NICU they kept uncovering things that were “different” about her when they did scans and tests on her. Many things were very “fixable,” but it was clear that with all of the factors put together the chances of them finding chromosomal condition were getting higher and higher. I was released from the hospital on Thursday, 7/21. We had to leave Lucy in the NICU’s care, and we were just starting to wrap our heads around things. Because of the ventilator and monitors, we were not allowed to hold her, and it was such a sad feeling, like we couldn't care for our little girl. I did get to change her diaper though, which was a big deal. (Never has changing a diaper been such a thrilling task!)
Mommy gets to hold her! - 7/22/11
We were able to hold her the night she was born, but hadn't in what seemed like FOREVER. By Friday, Lucy has adjusted well to the ventilator and her breathing had stabilized. She had a really great night/morning so I got to hold her on our visit around noon this day! Look at that precious blondie of ours! I think Lucy had more hair at birth than Avery had on her first birthday! She was opening her eyes and looking at us too. My heart was melting in the photo above - so in love with her!
The night of Lucy's diagnosis - 7/22/2011
The above photo was taken Friday evening. We were called back up to the hospital at 5:30 p.m., and by 7 p.m. we learned of Lucy's diagnosis of Trisomy 13. We knew Lucy was special and unique, but she was a perfect doll baby... her perfectly round head, her shiny blonde hair, her long torso, her long legs and thin, beautiful feet. She would open her eyes and gaze into ours. She knew us; she recognized our voices. When she got mad, she’d kick her legs and push herself way up out of her little foam-like pad she was sleeping on. She was strong! When we thought about how we'd picture a baby with a genetic disorder it wasn't Lucy. She wasn't sickly looking, she wasn't weak. She wasn't deformed. She was perfect... and the cleft was NOTHING. It could be fixed. We almost felt silly at this point for worrying about it in the first place!
But Friday night the puzzle pieces came together when the doctor told us the news - Lucy's diagnosis from the pediatric geneticist. Our worst fears were confirmed. Lucy had a genetic disorder that couldn’t be fixed and couldn’t be reversed - Lucy had Trisomy 13. It was determined the second she was conceived and there was no way we could have changed it. Though completely devastated, it wasn’t a surprise at this point. Through the tears of sadness, we also found that we could breathe easier just knowing they would stop their poking and prodding her.
There is no doubt that God's peace was there with us. Trisomy 13 is described as "not compatible with life." But yet, here was this precious gift - here was the little LIFE. Lucy was not going to be with us long, and the doctor informed us that the strategy of her care would change. We were going to focus on making Lucy comfortable and loved from that point on and his goal was to make us feel like a family. That’s right, we were just simply going to be a FAMILY. I love the quiet moment pictured above between Daddy and daughter, captured that night.
Lucy catching some rays - 7/23/2011
Everybody needs a little "sun." We loved walking in on Saturday morning to see Lucy catching some rays under the UV lamp, and found comfort in knowing that even "normal" babies need to be treated for jaundice. Our little Lucy got a bit jaundiced too. We loved seeing her in her faux baby "sunglasses" and the peace in this picture. She was thrilled when we got there and she could take those "shades" off though!
Visitors! – 7/23/2011
Lucy got her first visitors (aside from Jeff and I) in the NICU on Saturday. Big Sister Avery came to visit along with her Nana and Papa Bricker. Avery brought Lucy her lamb toy and sang her a passionate version of “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.” She also enjoyed singing Dora the Explorer songs to the nurses and jumping around entertaining whoever would look her way. She is QUITE the performer. Lucy actually seemed a little annoyed. Sisters!
Love, Love Me Do – 7/23/2011
Jeff and I came back to see Lucy Saturday night with my parents. Pastor Bill Roth joined us to baptize Lucy that evening in her NICU bed. Afterwards Jeff and I stayed to visit with her. I sang Lucy songs like “Love Me Do” and “Jesus Loves Me” along with “Amazing Grace.” This was the last day we saw Lucy open her eyes to look at us. We have so few photos with her eyes open, because most of the time taking a photo of her with them open with the absolute LAST thing we were thinking. We were just gazing back at her! This above photo is one of the few we have.
I read Lucy a letter I had written to her early that morning and she focused on me with both eyes the entire time. Another memory made; another peaceful and perfect moment.
Comfort and Love – 7/24/2011
Remembrance Photography – 7/24/2011
Saying Good-bye – 7/25/2011
The above picture was taken in our room on Sunday night - just some more bonding time while Lucy was doing so well. Soon after we were advised to stay in the “boarding” room at the hospital overnight. My worse fear was getting a call in the middle of the night, and Lucy’s vitals were starting to get worse, so we decided to stay that night. We are so glad that we did. We kept her with us until almost midnight and then sent her with her nurse so we could try and get a wink of sleep. I don’t think we did; I honestly don’t remember.
We got "that" call in the middle of the night, and thankfully we were just steps down the hall from Lucy. Lucy was brought to us around 3:30 a.m. and once we realized that a farewell was imminent, the doctor made a decision to take away most of the tubes and wiring so we could see every last inch of her in her final moments. We asked Lucy to watch over us and her big sister Avery; we told her we’d love her forever. We loved on her, prayed over her, sang and chatted with her before she passed away peacefully at 5:46 a.m. in our arms. God never left our side. We felt His presence welcoming her lovingly as we let her slip away. We felt our hearts crashing to the floor, and His peace filling up the massive void that was left behind.
The New Normal.
In the last several days we’ve had to make decisions you never think you’ll have to make. The difficult times are not behind us – this healing will take time. But I believe in divine purpose. We had what we’ve called our “earth angels” beside us every step of the way. A nurse that reminded us the “The Lord giventh, and the Lord taketh.” A doctor that prayed with us several times and told us he didn’t believe in “chance.” One thing is clear - Lucy was meant to grace this earth, and she was very much meant to be a part of our family.
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those that love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." ~ Romans 8:28
Our journey as a family continues. We are adjusting to a “new normal.” Part of our healing process is the desire to give back to some of the great people and programs that were instrumental in helping us feel like a true family during our time with Lucy… They have also given us the tools and resources so we can continue to blend Lucy's life into the rest of our lives and explain to Avery the special relationship that she and Lucy will always have. We will pass along several web links in a separate blog post if you desire to support some of the people and programs that have supported us.
We appreciate all the prayers, love and support. There will be sadness that haunts us. There will be paranoia that creeps in. There will be medical bills bearing her name. There will be songs on the radio that remind us of our Lucy. And we won't physically have her here to hug and hold. Lord knows it won't be easy. But our hope is only that blessings of love can come from those who hear our story. The story of love that rings true through all our pain and sadness.
"I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow." ~ Jeremiah 31:13
10 comments:
Dear Kate and Jeff, I've been thinking of you all and praying for you since we heard about little Lucy. I'm amazed at the faith and grace with which you've shared your story here, and my heart is full of love for all of you... no doubt as time moves on you will find many more ways in which your sweet girl has blessed your lives, and the lives of others. Love you all.
Kate,
Thank you so much for sharing your story. My heart feels heavy reading it, but I am also inspired by your faith and the strength God has given you to get through this difficult time.
Praying you find comfort in friends and family and the sweet memories you made with your precious angel.
Love,
Katherine Cromer
Jeff and Kate, your story breaks our hearts. Kent and Kirsten shared your blog and we am so sorry for your loss. We will keep you in our prayers for the days ahead and know after reading your story that your faith will help you get through this with a little more ease. Take care of yourselves and know that you are loved by so many.
Marshall & Rebecca Hartley
Jeff and Kate,
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and Avery. You are clearly strong, amazing parents. If there is any way I can be of help here in Charlotte, please do not hesitate to ask.
Deborah Long Goldberg
Kate,
Thank you so much for your touching and inspiring story. I am moved to tears for your loss and humbled by your strength and faith in our Lord and his care for you and your family. I know that you will continue to lean on him in the following days, months, and years as you continue to share Lucy and the blessing that she was to you and everyone who will hear about her.
Love and grace to all of you,
Melanie (Kingery) Whtie
Kate and Jeff - I've connected with your blog through Kent & Kirsten. My heart is breaking for you. Please know that your story is touching, inspiring, and amazing a complete stranger. Sending light and love your way.
I have followed the blog for some time checking in on the White's :) You were blessed with two beautiful baby girls. As a mother my heart breaks for you. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Your strength is amazing and very inspirational. Huge hugs during this difficult time. Thinking of you Lucy!
Kate -
hello - its Jenny, from Joan's yoga class. I am so sorry to hear this news, Lucy was blessed to have you and Jeff and little Avery and I beleive your pastor said it eloquently, that Lucy was meant to be here on earth, if even for her short stay.
I admire and envy you for the grace and faith you have at this very difficult time - you sharing your story and how wise it was to keep your chin up and remain determined to make memories with Lucy in the 6 days that you shared together.
There isn't much an outsider can say to comfort you, I know that, but i did want to tell you I was touched by your story and was thinking of you. I enjoyed practicing with you these last few months and would love to stay in touch.
Jenny
Thank you so much for sharing little Lucy's life and story! She has touched my heart just from your words...I can only imagine the countless ways she will touch others through your life and example. Prayers for all of you!
Thanks for commenting on my blog and reaching out. Lucy is a beautiful baby! I am sorry for your loss but know our baby girls were truly angels! Hope you had a great Christmas.
Post a Comment