background template

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Feeling Ducky

Last month I heard about the annual event Hope Floats. The event allows individuals and teams to adopt rubber duckies, and the ducks are released all at once to go swimming down the training course at the U.S. National Whitewater Center. Each duck is assigned a number, and they compete to win prizes, including one cash grand prize. You can see some photos from last year's event here.

The event is a fundraiser for Kindermourn, a local non-profit that runs programs and offers counseling to support families dealing with grief. I had heard about the event in the past and thought it was a great idea, but this year it held much more meaning personally.

Over the last several weeks I had been wanting to go online and form a team to start adopting ducks, but just hadn't gotten to it. That is... until last week when I walked into the storage room at work looking for post-its and came across a little rubber duck staring out from a cabinet. He was covered in dust and had obviously been there for a while. Why he was there, I have no idea, but I think he was there for me. Had to rescue him and clean him up!

Well, hello!

I named him "Office Duck" and then when I brought him home to meet Avery, she named him "Ducky Duck" (as you can tell, we are really original around here with names).

No surprise, I saw this little guy as a sign, and I am finally getting around to getting the show on the road (or on the "river" perhaps?).

This year, the White family will be participating in the Hope Floats event in memory of Lucy. We want to help offer hope to other families by raising money to adopt ducks and support Kindermourn. Please join us and adopt your duck today!

To visit our team page, click HERE.

If you are interested in raising money in honor of Lucy by joining our team, we'd LOVE to have you. You can register here and send people the link to donate.

Make sure you donate to the team name "Ducks for Lucy."
We appreciate you supporting this great cause and honoring our daughter's short life in the process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that he reminds me of Howard the Duck. The all-time coolest duck of the 80s. He was definitely hiding out in that closet for a reason. Hugs!

Contributors