background template

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Avery's THREE!

I can hardly believe it... this little girl is THREE!!!:


Last Friday afternoon we got the birthday weekend started with a cupcake from "Auntie" Hill. Mmm, cupcakes as big as our heads are the best!


We invited some friends over to celebrate with donuts, muffins, breakfast casserole and fruit on Saturday. It turned out pretty well for a last minute affair (oh, yeah... I quickly invited people via text when Avery started asking what we were doing for her birthday party - was NOT very prepared this year). Avery loved having some buddies over, and well, who can pass up a donut? (And, no, I did not bake the donuts! Thank you, Dunkin!)


I bought Avery the below hat in Denver (more on that trip soon), and she won't take it off. I had no idea she would like a hat this much or surely I would have bought her one sooner! Here she is with Nana:


Here's Avery with that birthday donut:






Some of Avery's friends:

(Bryn)
(William)
(Katherine, Logan, Bryn and Finn)
(Logan, Avery and Katherine)
(Bryn and Will sharing the chair)
Avery took her gift-opening very seriously:


Our family shot:



On Sunday, when Avery woke up I told her it was her "official" birthday. She crinkled her nose and asked, "What's a fishy birthday?" Apparently, a fishy birthday is a laid-back family day full of play at the park, yummy food and of course cake after a simple birthday dinner - just the THREE of us.

Avery has played hard all week with her new coloring books, stickers, toys and dolls. Some of her favorite gifts crack me up...

#1 - The "grabber"... #2 - Tinkerbell doll...

#3 - The "surf board" from grandpa and BeeGee...

And, #4 (her ultimate fave) - the safety scissors!



I know it sounds silly, but I keep looking at her and wondering how this little girl is mine. She is the most fun-loving, sweet, gentle, smart, angelic, yet sassy (and sometimes WAY sassy) little girl. I am so thankful to get to cuddle her every night before bed. I always want to remember these days since they won't last forever. These fun days when I can pull her into my lap, kiss her boo-boos, tickle her belly, listen to her sing at the top of her lungs --- and she can enjoy life full throttle without the notion of the standards the world will start to set for her. Before bed I told her the reasons I loved her, "I love you because your kind... I love you because you think of others... I love you because you cuddle with me." She said back to me, "I love you because I love your nose." I'm still laughing out loud. Seriously?

I also told Avery that she was my little sweetie and she said, "Lucy is my little sweetie." It made me think about how much I wish Avery had her little sister here to celebrate with. I couldn't help myself from staring at two sisters playing at the park the other day and just wondering what Avery and Lucy would be doing together at this point. I'm very glad Avery mentions her like she does.

We were glad to have this fun birthday weekend to remind us what life is really about - family, friends and enjoying the simple things. Things like donuts, cool hats and gifts are just some of the little "extras" that sure made Avery's birthday special and fun this year. :)

No comments:

Contributors