background template

Thursday, January 26, 2012

One giant pile o' problems

"If we all threw our problems in a pile, and looked at each other's, we'd grab our's back!"

As I have explained my sorrows and recent life issues to others, many times I also in the same breath will say something to the tune of "but they are my problems, and I would choose them over someone else's." And most of the time, when I think of things in a bigger sense, that is true.

There are also times that I say "what the H-E-double hockey sticks? I don't want this life! Why was I chosen for this? Why did this happen to me?! Everyone else gets it so good."

Several people have shared with me the imagery of what I'm going to call the Giant Pile o' Problems. Basically, the thought is that if everyone in the world threw their problems into a massive pile and we saw what laid in that pile of problems, we'd be VERY quick to grab our problem back. I can get on board with that philosophy. It definitely personalizes our problems and shows us that we tend to find ways to manage what we've been given and have a hard time imagining how we would handle someone else's issues.

But think on this... wouldn't it be more amazing if we could all stand in a circle around that giant pile o' problems and said in chorus: "good-bye, problems... we release you to GOD."

Yes, there are daily worries and daily challenges that we must deal with, but what if each day we could let go a little more? Maybe we don't want to just throw our problem in a pile to stare at it and compare it against others, but instead we want to raise it up and let it go. Let's admit we are not in control! I want to release my firm grip on all of this "stuff" I try and control day in and day out. The anxiety is just not worth it and life has much more to offer.

1 comment:

Toni said...

I keep thinking back to the quote you have at the begging of this post and find it to be so true. "If we all threw our problems in a pile, and looked at each other's, we'd grab our's back!" Thank you for helping me realize that. That even through the tough times and the times that you think things can't get worse- my problems don't even compare to some people's problems. This quote helped me through a really rough patch this month.

Much Love to You, Jeff and Avery.

Contributors