After hearing Kevin Garnett scream "Top of the World" it inspired me to write a quick blog about the teams I follow. Quick note, Hank, he is hood and I like it too. Anyways, its been a long time since one of my teams actually won a championship...here is a quick rundown with the last year they won in parentheses.
The Clemson Tigers (1981 NCAA Football Champions)...For the past 8 or so years I've heard how we the Tigers are going to be in the running for a national championship, only to blow it down the stretch by losing 3-4 games. Thankfully they always play South Carolina the last game of the year and that's an almost guaranteed victory.
The Chicago Bears (1986)...so close yet so far away in the 2007 Super Bowl. They've been competitive and usually make the playoffs but it seems we are about to embark on a rebuilding phase...we need a lot of help and possibly an owner that will spend money.
The Atlanta Braves (1995)...they won plenty of division and league championships but couldn't get past that team in pinstripes from NYC in the World Series. Again, it seems this team is rebuilding.
The New Jersey Devils (1995, 2000, 2003)...ok, I've gotten lucky but its hockey and its not as cool as it was when I was in high school...back then I had Petrick to make fun of for being a Rangers fan (and vice versa).
The Boston Celtics (1986)...Well, thanks to the absolute domination of the Lakers, I finally have a championship! I was worried going into the series with the Lakers but after seeing them dominate the first two games I knew we'd take home the championship (17th overall!!).
A few things about the game last night (June 17th)
1. I told Kate prior to the game, "I want a blowout so I can relax and enjoy the game." Got it!
2. I asked numerous people to say a prayer for them (Thanks!). I asked Chad to have his Father say a prayer last week...he asked me how much money I planned to place in the offering at his Father's church...I have 7 dollars in my pocket and it's all yours.
3. While thinking about the game I decided if the Celtics went up 5 the game was over. With about 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter they did just that. My relaxation began!
4. The end was bittersweet, I was happy to see them win a championship but also a little sad that the games were over. I'd spent every game I could watching until the very end, including all of the miserable road games they lost.
5. I asked Kate if I would get a ring...Most Valuable Fan...I didn't go crazy, I didn't pop the bottle of champagne I had, I just sat back and enjoyed the moment. I was happy I woke Kate up to watch it as well, I think she enjoyed seeing me so happy.
6. One other thing...The crowd was so loud it was hilarious...the chants (some probably not appropriate) and KG singing along with them to Bon Jovi's "Livin on a prayer" was awesome!
Here are a few things I won't miss about the NBA Playoffs
1. The officials...by far the worst of the 4 major professional sports. All of you need to go through extensive training by November 2008.
2. The commercials....especially these two...The two basketball superstars talking about how important it is to win the championship, split in two, forming two faces...It's Creepy!
The Cadillac commercial...the one where the parking attendant talks to the unseen person in the truck...Kate guessed that we'll see one more commercial and the player in the truck will be the MVP of the Finals...That would be Paul Pierce!
3. The so called superstars of the NBA who cannot shoot but are referred to as the Best on the Planet...for example, Kobe Bryant, 7-22 last night...horrible, you are not Michael Jordan (right Kenty).
4. Pre Game Introductions...just come out on the court when your name is announced and start playing.
5. The announcers...Van Gundy, Jackson and that white guy...Chad and I both wanted to rip our ears off at numerous times. I actually turned the volume off and listened to the radio because they were so bad.
6. Close games...way to many to handle, I don't like feeling like my heart is going to burst out of my chest, especially when i need to be going to bed!
So that's it, thanks to the Big 3 for bringing home a championship! I'm sure most of you are tired of it but oh well, GO CELTICS!
No comments:
Post a Comment