background template

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The thing about being a Believer


It's a scary feeling when you talk to family and friends that are heartbroken for us - I hate that people are feeling so much pain - so much of OUR pain has become theirs. I can literally feel the heartache through the emails, phone messages and conversations. I have always considered myself quite "talented" at offering a listening ear, giving advice, praying for and loving others when they are going through a hard time. I whole-heartedly enjoy offering that support and love to others. I find that I'm definitely not-so-great at accepting it for myself, though. I'm working on it. It certainly is nice to know that we don't have to walk through any of this alone.

Some people have mentioned that they are amazed at my faith through these tough times. It hit me one day that it may be easier to cling to faith when you are going through a tough time - you HAVE to. It is through our struggles when we are reminded of God's grace, love and power. We are reminded that we are not in control. We tend to call ourselves "believers," but it is when a challenge unfolds that you will be put to the test. As a "believer" you have two choices: to keep on believing or to walk away from that belief forever. And I know I can't do the latter. So my faith HAS to grow - it has to change. It has to evolve.

Now, I've always found comfort in scripture, but I am somewhat reliant on it right now. I have been picking up the bible over the years here and there, but now at times I cling to it, even fall asleep with it some nights. Scriptures literally collide into one another, I can't read the words quick enough; they jump off the pages at me even when I'm not looking. It is wild!

Sometimes I don't feel very strong, sometimes I don't feel like believing, sometimes I think I could give it all up - but when I relax in Christ's presence, the truth finds me.

"In returning to me and resting in me you shall be saved;
in quietness and trust shall be your strength."
~ Isaiah 30:15

Please feel free to share with me any scripture that reminds you of God's power, peace and love. Thanks!

(BTW, the latest photos are credited to my amazing and talented husband!)

6 comments:

Karen R said...

Kate, I just finished reading a book that I am recommending to you. It is titled "Heaven Is For Real". I think you will relate, and find yourself wanting to read it over and over again.
Lots of Love - Karen Rodriguez

Laura said...

As always, your post was beautifully written and insightful. I decided to take on your challenge and literally couldn't pick just one verse. So here goes and love and hugs to you, Sparky

God has poured out his love into our hearts. Romans 5:5

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

The kingdom of God is within you. Luke 17:21

He will fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy. Job 8:21.

And why are you anxious about what to wear? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin. And yet I say to you, that even Solomon in all his glory is not arrayed like one of these. Matthew 6:28-29

JBWright said...

Kate, Jeff, and Avery-this blog has certainly explained feelings that I'm having for your family. Crying for you, praying for you, feeling sad for you, holding on to the ones I love with you; I too am one of these individuals who is amazed at your unbelievably strong faith through such amazingly trying times. You are all amazing people and I am more proud than ever to call you 'friend.' Love, the Wright's.

tonyalyssa said...

Romans 8:26 (NIV)- I feel like I have had so many wordless groans...not sure what to pray for...or how to pray...or how much to hope for...but you're right Kathryn, the thing about being a believer is that even when I don't have the right words or the right prayer or I doubt how everything is going to work itself out...I can at least trust that He has got it under control - even when I don't understand. Thanks for sharing. Love you so much!

Julie Strauja said...

“Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.~ James 1:4”

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. ~James 1:12”

Blake said...

Kate, Last year, as you know, was really difficult for me but throughout it I kept my faith in God. I honestly don't know if I could've gotten through it all without my faith. One verse in Romans 5 sticks with me to this day (I even wore a "HOPE" bracelet that my church gave out to the congregation all last summer before giving it away to a someone else who needed the hope more than me):

"Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

Thinking of you, Jeff, and Avery. xoxo

Contributors